This workshop teaches participants culturally responsive interviewing techniques. The culturally responsive interview approach is designed to assist in moving beyond the basic demographic information and surface culture of the child and family to a deeper understanding of the hidden cultural values. Through instruction, video demonstrations, and role-playing, participants will learn how to complete culturally responsive interviews to develop comprehensive culturally validated sociocultural histories.
This session will help participants
1. observe and practice delivering sensitive interview questions to increase familiarity with culturally relevant material,
2. learn how to integrate culturally responsive interview questions to determine strengths and assets of families,
3. learn how to integrate cultural content into psychoeducational assessments as part of a comprehensive sociocultural history,
4. apply a collection of culturally responsive interview questions to assess acculturation in children and families, and
5. learn cultural constructs that should be explored as part of formulating a sociocultural history.